When faith ceases to pray, it ceases to live.
E. M. Bounds
We believe that God is sovereign over kings and kingdoms. We believe Jesus Christ is the King of kings and Lord of lords. We believe we are called to pursue unity with our fellow Kingdom citizens. We believe we have a lot to be grateful for and plenty of good work to do while we await King Jesus’ return.
Because we believe these things, we pray. If we do not pray, our faith withers, leaving us anxious and uncertain, just like those who do not know God. Therefore, today we will pray together, strengthening and acting on our faith in God’s sovereignty and wisdom.
God’s Sovereignty Over Kings and Kingdoms
During troubling political times, remember that God is the supreme authority over all things, including nations and national leaders. He puts leaders in place and directs their decisions.
The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD;
he turns it wherever he will. (Proverbs 21:1)
He changes times and seasons;
he removes kings and sets up kings. (Daniel 2:21)
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. (Romans 13:1-2)
I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. (1 Timothy 2:1-2)
- Praise God for his awesome power over nations and national leaders.
- Ask him to help us see our nation and political situation with his perspective.
- Renew and express your trust in him regarding who will be placed in elected positions.
- Ask him for the wisdom to submit rightly to the governing authorities he puts into place.
- Ask him to supply our leaders with the strength and wisdom they need to serve well.
- Ask him to save their souls through faith in Jesus.
- Thank him for providing the governmental structure that sustains our civic life together.
- Ask him to ensure and preserve a peaceful, quiet, godly, dignified life for us as his people.