1) My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline
or be weary of his reproof,
12) for the Lord reproves him whom he loves,
as a father the son in whom he delights. (Proverbs 3:11-12)
- Catch up with one another by having each person share a highlight and low point from their previous week.
- Pray together for God’s help as you begin to discuss the passage.
- Read Proverbs 3:11-12 together.
- What do you think is the key message of this passage?
- What does it mean to ‘not despise’ or ‘be weary’ of something? What is the opposite of these things? What other words do your translations use here?
- What is ‘discipline’ and ‘reproof’? Do your translations use any other words here?
- How can we live in light of verse 11 in practical ways? What steps can we take to live wisely according to this verse? What other scriptures can help us understand how to go about this?
- According to verse 12, why should we not despise and be weary of God’s discipline and reproof?
- What are some avenues God’s uses to discipline and reprove his people? What scriptures give examples of his discipline and reproof?
- Is there any difference in how he disciplines and reproves in the Old Testament versus the New?
- How can your group pray for you in light of this passage?
- Take some quiet time to pray together.